Paros history

 
Home Site map
 
 

Paros history, Greece: information about the history of Paros island

    Paros has been inhabited since 3200 B.C. and many objects of that period have been found in Saliagos, an islet situated between Paros and Antiparos. It is believed that back in the Ancient times, the two islands used to form a single land.

Paros History

According to Greek mythology, the first to dominate the island was the Cretan Alcaios. He built a city situated on the same place Parikia, the actual capital of the island, stands today. He occupied the island for its central position in the Cyclades and its fertile plains. At that time, Crete was trading with Egypt, Assyria and the Balkans and the position of the island was of great strategic importance.

They turned the island into a naval station and gave it the name of Minoa, which was a title of honour given only to the royal Cretan
The history of Paros

Around 1.000 B.C., the Arcadians occupied the island. There were led by Parios who gave to the island its definitive name: Paros.
During the 8th century B.C., Paros became a great maritime power and started trading with the Phoenicians. It even created a colony on the island of Thassos, which was rich in metal deposits. It was a flourishing period for Paros, both economically and culturally. The island was indeed the birthplace of many poets. The most famous was the lyrical poet Archilochus who is famous for being the first to use personal elements rather than heroics in his poems.

In those times, Paros was famous in all the Mediterranean for its semi transparent marble of high quality which was used for the creation of
The most important byzantine monument in Paros and Greece

In 338 B.C. the Macedonian took control of the island. After the death of Alexander the Great, the island felt under the Ptolemie’s occupation. After that period Paros came under Mithridate’s rule, followed by the Roman occupation.

After the Romans, the Island was converted to Christianity and became a part of the Byzantine Empire. Many churches, monasteries and chapels were built at these times on the island. The most famous of them is the Church of Ekatonpiliani in Parikia. It is said that the church was built by St. Helena, the mother of Constantine the Great. This church is considered as the most important Byzantine monument in Greece.
 
  cities.

The island was still in the hands of the Minoans when then Ionians arrived in about 1.100 B.C.

After a first defeat, they managed to take control of the island and destroyed the Minoan civilization.
many masterpieces, such as the Venus of Milo, the Temple of Apollo of Delos, the Praxiteles’ statue of Hermes at Olympia…

During the Persian wars, part of the Parian army fought on the Persian’s side, but was defeated by the Athenians.
From 1207 to 1389, Paros became part of the Duchy of Aegean that was ruled by the Venetian Marco Sanudo. In the following years, the island felt under the Frankish and Turkish rule.
After the Independence War of 1821, Paros became part of the New Greek State.
 
   

 
u ANTIPAROS
Literally “opposite Paros”, the island of Antiparos is located 4 nautical miles from the main port of Paros and only 1 mile from the beach of Pounda.
  more
u ARCHITECTURE
The Cycladic villages have adopted, for most of them, a similar architecture: white cubic houses built the one upon the other with wooden coloured windows, doors and balconies in narrow streets next to windmills and Byzantine churches
  more
u CHURCHES
There is a wealth of paros churches on the island. The most famous is the Panagia Ekatontapiliani.
  more
u FESTIVALS
Paros composes of many religious feasts. Some are listed below dependent.
  more
 

 
 

 

 

 

  about us | travel links Go to the top of the page
 
 
Creation and copyright: www.greeka.com
© Photography :